Course Access Policies
Section Opening and Closing
- Sections for an upcoming term will be open to instructors approximately 6 weeks
before the start of the term. All sections open to students at 12:00AM on the
start date as set in STAR. Most courses will follow the traditional term dates
however sections can be set to open and close at different points within the
term through STAR. The date in which the section opens determines which term
it is in. All sections close to students one week after the posting of grades
in STAR for that term. eCampus Support DOES NOT modify either the start or
end dates for a section!
- Instructors should expect to see one full academic year of courses on their course
list (fall, spring, summer).
- Courses are kept within the eCampus application for two academic years before
being purged from the system. After that, they are backed up to tape and are
accessible only through written request and will require academic and IT management
- If access is needed to a section from a prior term, please submit a trouble ticket
using the support information on this site.
Adding an Instructor
- All instructors must go through STAR to be added to a credit section with a CRN
in WVU eCampus, this will grant Instructor access.
Adding a Course Builder
- Course builder access is not necessary for instructors as they already have all
permissions associated with course builders. This role is for users who will
only be designing content. They will not have access to the Grade Center. Course
builder access may be requested through a trouble ticket.
Adding a Teaching Assistant
- The Teaching Assistant (TA) role inside of WVU eCampus grants the TA access according
to this document. Since a Teaching Assistant will have access to grades, a
TA must be a graduate student and must sign and agree to the WVU eCampus Code
of Confidentiality each semester they are to be enrolled.
- Requests for a Teaching Assistant may be submitted through the eCampus Request
Adding an Auditor (Student making up an Incomplete)
- Currently, the Auditor role is unavailable in Learn 9. Until it is available,
instructors may go to eRS and request the auditor to be enrolled as a student.
- If there is not a current offering of the course in eCampus, then the student
will have to work directly with the Instructor to make up the work. All
course work will need to be downloaded by the Instructor and given directly
to the student as would happen in a face-to-face course. Past courses will
not be reopened for individual students to make up an incomplete.
- For other types of auditor enrollment requests, please provide a detailed explanation
that will need academic approval since this person would have access to a course
without having registration in STAR. Instructors may use eRS or the ITS Service
Desk contact information to submit this.